Not able to connect MySQL Server on Ubuntu from Windows remote machine

Hadoop Eco System Forums Hadoop Discussion Forum Not able to connect MySQL Server on Ubuntu from Windows remote machine

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Siva 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

ram
    Participant

Hi We have installed Tableau software on one of our Windows machine and MySQL server 5.6 on another Ubuntu machine. But when we are trying to connect MySQL server on Ubuntu Machine from Tableau, we are receiving below error message

I have installed ODBC drivers required for MySQL on my windows machine also.

<pre class=”lang:default decode:true ” >Unable to connect to the ODBC Data Source. Check that the necessary drivers are installed and that the connection properties are valid.
    [MySQL][ODBC 5.3(w) Driver]Can’t connect to MySQL server on ‘XXX.XX.3.78’ (10061)

Unable to connect to the server “XXX.XX.3.78”. Check that the server is running and that you have access privileges to the requested database.
    Unable to connect to the server. Check that the server is running and that you have access privileges to the requested database.

Can you please suggest, what might be the root cause.

Siva
    Keymaster

Hi ram,

First check whether your MySQL Server is running on Ubuntu Machine with below commands

If MySQL is running fine on Ubuntu,

By default, mysql only listens on localhost for connections.To change that, edit /etc/mysql/my.cnf. .

Open up the file under ‘etc/mysql/my.cnf’
    Check for:

1. port (by default this is ‘port = 3306’)
    2. bind-address (by default this is ‘bind-address = 127.0.0.1’; if you want to open to all then just comment out this line and
    add new line with actual IP address in place of 127.0.0.1)

3. Then restart mysql with below command

$ sudo service mysql restart

ram
    Participant

Thank You siva for quick response and it worked fine to resolve the above error message, but now I am receiving new error message while connecting to MySQL Server from Tableau. Its error message is

Please let me know how to resolve this error message

Siva
    Keymaster

It might be a security issue. You can try adding a new administrator user,

mysql> CREATE USER ‘user’@’IP Address of MySQL Server machine’ IDENTIFIED BY ‘some_pass’;
    mysql> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO ‘user’@’IP Address of MySQL Server machine’ WITH GRANT OPTION;
    mysql> CREATE USER ‘user’@’%’ IDENTIFIED BY ‘some_pass’;
    mysql> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO ‘user’@’%’ WITH GRANT OPTION;

after this restart MySQL and try connecting to this server from remote machine with username ‘user’ and password ‘some_pass’

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Not able to connect MySQL Server on Ubuntu from Windows remote machine’ is closed to new replies.

Review Comments
default image

I have attended Siva’s Spark and Scala training. He is good in presentation skills and explaining technical concepts easily to everyone in the group. He is having excellent real time experience and provided enough use cases to understand each concepts. Duration of the course and time management is awesome. Happy that I found a right person on time to learn Spark. Thanks Siva!!!

Dharmeswaran ETL / Hadoop Developer Spark Nov 2016 September 21, 2017